This is an online course (worth 1 European Credit Point) dedicated to teaching you the fundamentals of using Geographic Information System (GIS) software. This course is designed for self-study. All explanatory videos, data and assignments are found online and are open source. You are allowed to follow the course at your own pace, but there is a deadline for all assignments to be turned in. In this cycle, the deadline for the assignments is the 16th of September, 2016. All assignments will be graded pass/fail. If all 5 assignments are given a pass, then you have passed the course.
The flow of the course is designed so that you:
- Open ArcGIS, the GIS software that we are using in this course (if you don’t have it already installed, see link below).
- Download the data used in the videos (see link below).
- Watch the videos (starting with module 1) and follow along with the data for the videos (see link below). In this way, you learn the techniques that you will need for the assignment.
- Download the data for the assignment (different from the data for the videos!) and the assignment itself (see link below).
- Complete the assignment using ArcGIS.
- Save the assignment with YOUR name in the file name (e.g. Assignment_1_John_Smith.docx).
- Go back to step 3 with the next module. Modules are designed to be completed in order (1, then 2, 3, etc.)
Once all of the assignments are completed, zip them and send them to email@example.com. For more information, click the links below (or choose the sub-menu from above).